Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 76001562
Historic Name FULLERTON DAM
Description of Significance THE FULLERTON DAM WAS FIRST THE GRAVITY FLOW IRRIGATION SYSTEM IN WESTERN OKLAHOMA. ITS CONSTRUCTION BEGAN IN THE 1890S AND THE SYSTEM FUNCTIONED UNTIL 1919 WHEN IT WAS DESTROYED BY FLOODING. IN ITS PRIME, IT WAS USED TO IRRIGATED AS MANY AS 1500 ACRES OF AGRICULTURAL CROP LAND. MR. FULLERTON USED LIMESTONE BLOCKS FROM A NEARBY QUARRY AS WELL AS DIRT TO CONSTRUCT THE DAM AND CANAL SYSTEM. THE COMPLETED DAM WAS UP TO FIFTY FEET WIDE AND TWENTY FEET DEEP IN PLACES. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 11/7/1976.
Current Name SAME
Address 7 MILES NW OF OLUSTEE
City OLUSTEE VICINITY
County JACKSON
Lot
Block
Current Section
Township
Range
Type STRUCTURE
Historic Function VACANT/NOT IN USE
Current Function AGRICULTURE/SUBSISTENCE: IRRIGATION FACILITY
Area Signficance 1 AGRICULTURE
Area Significance 2 ENGINEERING
Date Prepared NOVEMBER 1975
Year Built 1895
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder FULLERTON
Architectural Style N/A
Roof Material N/A
Wall Material LIMESTONE; EARTH
Window Material N/A
Door Material N/A
Decorative Details
Condition RUINS
Comments
Restricted N